Thursday 3 February 2011

Turner and Turner




Watching The Painter at the Arcola last night got me thinking about the Turner Prize this year.

Written by Rebecca Lenkiewicz, the play is about JMW Turner (18th century landscape artist), his life and the people that surround him. Apparently Turner bought his paints in the Arcola’s new location, which was why the writer was asked to write a play about him (ooh).

So first off, I’d totally recommend The Painter!! The domestic ‘situations’ that make up the performance are dramatic and gripping, while the characters are entirely believable yet so intriguing.

See it next Tuesday if you can, its pay what you can; now there’s a plan.

Under 26s can see it for free, trust me.

But the Turner Prize. What did everyone think this year? Susan Philipsz’s Lowlands Away, featured three recordings of a traditional Scottish folk song, sung by the artist. Speakers were situated in opposing corners of the room, but the piece was formerly performed under a bridge in Glasgow (pretty magical ay). I’ve always been rather sceptical of sound, or in fact any technical installations, but this piece for me was an exception. I bloody loved it! The alternating intonations were eerie yet wondrous; ultimately atmospheric. And Susan Philipsz: I instantly liked her because she was a woman (and friendly in the Turner film) and I think Rob (my proudly Scottish housemate) did because she was Glaswegian. Well done Philipsz! (I still wear your badge).     

No comments:

Post a Comment