Tuesday 25 January 2011

POSTCARD OF THE WEEK: No.3



(from) Inflammatory Essays, 1979-82
Jenny Holzer

YES. This reminds me of a conversation I had today with Rachel actually, about anger towards other people, (or recurring violent thoughts about other people!) Luckily, the important people in my life are amazing, but I think this is something we can all feel from time to time. Art like this, I believe, can make one feel a bit ‘better’. I, and we, can dance off anger and paint it in pink :).

A thought: at a graduate exhibition the other week, one girl whose work was being exhibited said: “I don’t like art with meaning.” What? Surely that’s like saying “I don’t like bread baked with flour”. Or am I wrong? I’m not an artist (just an enthusiastic appreciator I’d like to think!) so are perceptions of art different to those who actually create it? I’d love to know what anyone thinks!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    

No comments:

Post a Comment