Tuesday 18 January 2011

Blue Valentine, Taylor Wessing and "Wilton's!"

Expecting to see something roncom-ish and easy to digest, Blue Valentine came as a wonderful, beautiful surprise (!). In fact I felt so immersed and involved, I forgot who I was watching the film with! (sorry Jumping Joe). It's about a couple having marital problems. I liked it, really natural with those ‘touches’. A bit too pretty to feel real though. When will the US get truly gritty when it comes to looks?!

Managed to drag myself down to the Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize. Here’s who won!

1st: David Chancellor, Huntress with Buck

2nd: Panayiatis Lamprou, Portrait of my British Wife

3rd: Jeffrey Stockbridge, Tic Tac and Tootsie

4th: Abbie Trayler-Smith, Untitled 2


THE WINNER

None of the photographs really captivated me; most of the portraits had a solemn feel about them. I found the BP painting prize a lot more enjoyable, and felt that it had ‘more in it’ almost! Maybe painting is where my true love lies. Oh! And have just remembered what someone said, once:

“It could be said that photographs now replace what painting has depicted”, or something along those arty farty lines.

No! No!

Highlight of the week was visiting Wilton’s Music Hall, helping out as an usher. It’s the oldest surviving music hall in the world (!) opening in the mid-1800s. But there’s nothing princely or pretentious about it. The experience filled me with joy; we even got an umbrella each on our way home!

“Here at Wilton’s we have plenty of umbrellas” :-)



I hope Peter the pianist doesn’t mind me robbing his photo...it totally sums up the vibe of the place!
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    

1 comment:

  1. The whole photo taking over from painted picture, is that technology advancements? though a picture says a thousand words!

    arty farty lines, there's the realism :)

    Wilton's looks like my kind of place, dark, un hung picture frames, a pian-pian-pia-no and a bass guitar! xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete